If you are having a hard time making ends meet, I hope the following information is helpful in alleviating some of your financial burden. Always feel free to contact me at 1-800-964-4699.
CareNeighborhood Health Association: 419-720-7883
• Provides health care on a sliding scale fee basis including family practice, OB/GYN, dental care, WIC program, nutrition counseling, pharmacy, lab, x-ray, podiatry, health education services and other care to residents of Lucas County.
Toledo-Lucas County Health Department: 419-213-4100
• Provides care on a sliding scale fee basis including immunizations and children’s health programs, WIC program, prenatal care, and health promotions.
Lorain County Health Department: 440-322-6367
• Provides basic health care on a sliding scale fee basis including immunizations, and health education services.
Erie County Health Department: 419-626-5623
• Provides basic health care on a sliding scale fee basis including immunizations, WIC, hearing clinic, health center, home health, and senior citizen counseling services.
Ottawa County Health Department: 419-734-6800; 1-800-788-8803
• Provides care on a sliding scale fee basis including immunizations, nursing services, well family care, and health education services.
Neighborhood Family Practice: 216-281-8945
• Provides health care on a sliding scale fee basis including family practice, OB/GYN, dental care, WIC program, nutrition counseling, pharmacy, lab, x-ray, podiatry, health education services and other care to residents of Cuyahoga County.
The Sight Center: 1-800-624-8378
• Provides eye examinations, eyeglasses, and eye medical services for children and adults with financial need.
Medicaid is a health insurance program for children and older adults depending on income. Contact your county Department of Job & Family Services to apply:
- Lorain County...........….440-284-4500
- Lucas County................419-213-8999
- Ottawa County..............419-898-3688
- Erie County...............….419-626-6781
- Cuyahoga County……..216-987-7000
The VA Outpatient Clinics provides to eligible veterans primary health care and prescriptions and access to specialty care and hospitalization through the VA health system. For information about the clinic in your area, call the VA Hotline, 1-800-827-1000.
FoodThe Federal Food Stamp Program provides assistance with food purchases depending on income. To apply, contact your local Department of Job & Family Services:
- Lorain County............440-284-4500
- Lucas County............419-213-8999
- Ottawa County...........419-898-3688
- Erie County.............…419-626-6781
- Cuyahoga County……..216-987-7000
Congregate Meals are served at a number of sites throughout Northern Ohio. For the site nearest you, contact your county’s First Call for Help by dialing 211.
Legal AssistanceLegal Aid of Western Ohio 419-724-0460
• Offers legal assistance at no cost to residents of Lucas and Ottawa Counties
Legal Aid of Cleveland: 1-800-444-7348
• Offers legal assistance at no cost to residents of Cuyahoga and Lorain Counties
Erie County Legal Aid: 419-627-6620
• Offers legal assistance on a cost-sharing basis to residents of Erie County
Ask the Attorney: 419-255-2255
• Free call-in for legal advice from attorneys each Thursday, 5:30p.m.-7:30p.m.
Law Tuesday is offered through Family Services of NWO. Call 419-321-6455 for schedule.
Specifically For Senior CitizensArea Office on Aging of Northwest Ohio: 419-382-0624
• Provides information and services funded through the Older Americans Act including senior centers, nutrition programs, congregate meal sites, health programs, employment programs, volunteer opportunities and in home care to residents age 60 and older as well as other senior services in the counties of Northwest Ohio including Erie, Lucas and Ottawa.
Western Reserve Area Office on Aging: 1-800-626-7277
• Provides information and services funded through the Older Americans Act including senior centers, nutrition programs, congregate meal sites, health programs, employment programs, volunteer opportunities and in home care to residents age 60 and older as well as other senior services to residents of Cuyahoga and Lorain Counties.
Long Term Care Ombudsperson: 1-800-282-1206
• investigates complaints against nursing homes
Homestead Exemption is available to many people over age 65 who own their own home to give property tax relief. To apply, call your county Auditor:
- Lorain County...............….440-244-2237
- Lucas County....................419-213-4336
- Ottawa County..................419-734-6740
- Erie County..................…..419-627-7746
UtilitiesThe HEAP program (1-800-282-0880) is a federally funded program providing assistance with winter fuel bills from November through March and sometimes summer electric bills depending on extreme and consistent heat.
ForeclosureOhio Housing Finance Agency: 1-888-362-6432
• offers a variety of services to homeowners, and is a primary source of information on help when facing foreclosure.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) may be available to working families with earned income. Call 211 for information on how to claim this credit on your income tax return.
If none of the above programs meet your needs there still may be help available to you. For complete information about what is available in your area, please call 211.