President Obama Speaks on Manufacturing in Ohio
CLEVELAND (Nov. 14) – Congresswoman Kaptur joined President Barack Obama at the ArcelorMittal steel plant in Cleveland’s famed industrial valley to celebrate 100 years of steelmaking at the site and a resurgence in American manufacturing.
“I comment President Obama for recognizing the importance of steel production in our region,” said Congresswoman Kaptur.
“Thanks the leadership of ArcelorMittal and the United Steelworkers of America, this is literally one of the most efficient factories in the world. The men and women of steel are a special breed and obviously they do their jobs extremely well.”
Kaptur noted that the ArcelorMittal workers supply the U.S. automobile manufacturing sector, which is concentrated in the Great Lakes region.
“This is where it all begins,” she said. “Half the steel that comes out of this remarkable factory is used here in Ohio, and much of it for automobiles. I shudder to think what would have happened to our region if President Obama had not stepped forward to save the auto industry and more than a million jobs.”
“The story of this plant is the story of America over the last five years,” President Obama said during his speech. “We haven’t just been recovering from a crisis. What we’ve been trying to do is rebuild a new foundation for growth and prosperity to protect ourselves from future crises.”
“This plant was closed for a while,” he said. “We go through hard times. And a lot of our friends are still going through hard times. But when we work at it, we know we can get to a better place, and we can restore some security to a middle class that was forged in plants just like this one, and keep giving ladders of opportunity for folks who were willing to work hard to get into the middle class.”
- The Nature Conservancy Honors Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur as a “Supporter of Nature”
- Deja Vu on the Hill: Wall Street Lobbyists Roll Back Finance Reform, Again
- Could a greener military prove more powerful?
- Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Project Welcomes More Birds and Fish Home to Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge
- Kaptur: I Oppose Social Security Cuts
- COLUMN—Minimum Wage
- Congressional Art Competition 2011
- The American Auto Industry Makes Resurgence
- The Resurgence of the American Auto Industry
- Spring Fling for Seniors
- Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
- September 23, 2010: Kaptur Test Drove 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Capitol Hill
- Press Conference on Kaptur's "Made in America" Bill
- Congresswoman Kaptur Participated in a Community Forum at Crossroads Homeless Shelter in Sandusky