Kaptur Joins House Democrats to Pass Historic Voting Rights, Anti-Corruption, and Ethics Reforms
Washington, D.C. – Today, Rep. Kaptur voted to pass H.R. 1: the For the People Act, a bold, transformative piece of legislation to put the power over American Democracy back in the hands of the people and restore faith in government. H.R. 1 is a sweeping anti-corruption package to clean up Washington, protect and expand voting rights, restore integrity to government, and put the needs and priorities of the American people ahead of special interests.
“For too long our political system has favored the privileged and the powerful, leaving the voices of hardworking Americans drowned out by corporate interests and those who can afford a lobbyist,” said Rep. Kaptur. “H.R. 1 takes a bold stand against that status quo by kicking corrupt influence out of our elections, holding government officials accountable, and giving power over our democracy back to the people. At a time when voting rights are under attack across the U.S., legislation protecting every American’s right to vote is needed more than ever. I’m glad to support H.R. 1 and urge its swift passage in the Senate.”
Key provisions of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, include:
- Expanding automatic voter registration and same day registration.
- Strengthening vote by mail, early voting and ballot access to all communities.
- Combating voter intimidation and voter suppression.
- Protecting our U.S. elections from foreign interference.
- Fixing partisan gerrymandering.
- Promoting digital ad transparency.
- Forcing disclosure of dark money.
- Reining in lobbyist influence.
- Enforcing ethics and conflict of interest rules for all government officials.
- Empowering small donors with matching funds paid for by lawbreakers, not taxpayers.